So yesterday after Tom finished school we headed back to The Waters so he could practice his swimming. I just love this place as you can tell by the amount of photos I post when we go there. It has it's own little church up on this hill that overlooks the development and it's own very small downtown complex with a YMCA, a post office, a cafe and a life coach office (hee hee hee) yeah, I find that amusing. Anyway, it's about a 25 minute drive out there but we're listening to Steve Jobs bio on CD in the car so it's all good.
I decided to swim as well and but stayed sort of in a centered area of the lake where I could spot Tom. He started clear at the one end and wore his little specialty mileage watch so he could clearly document his time and distance. The water is pretty warm on top, a little chillier underneath and downright cold in some spots. I kept telling myself that there surely weren't alligators in the water since it is man made and since they DID hold a triathlon there with what I would guess would be a high liability for the organizers if their participants had to dodge man eating reptiles. However there were people fishing when we had been there the day before and pretty soon I started seeing mouths coming up out of the water. Then I looked to my right in the floating greenery and started seeing large backs of some sort of something. And I could hear sucking sounds. Hm. It was enough to make me get out of the water and to safe ground to investigate.
There were a bunch of them. BIG...easily 18-24 inches long and ugly catfish faces and frankly a little bugged that I was in their turf. I decided I had spent enough time in the water and went back to spotting Tom. He plugged along, clear across the lake then headed back. Checked his distance and 1.5 miles!!!! He was a happy boy. Further than he'll have to do this weekend and now he knows its within his capabilities. Now that's off his worry wart plate... he rests the remainder of the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment