Linda has become very involved in the Gateway Performing Arts Center while in Florida. She has directed in their theatre, performed there, volunteers and has been taking classes there. I've heard so much about it that I was excited to go take a look. I was also looking for ideas for the Davis Arts Council where I served on the board in Utah. We have been hoping to get our own indoor theatre and art space so I took tons of photos to send home.
They were preparing a new exhibit that was opening over the weekend so we got in for a sneak peek...
There is a group of artists who all get together one afternoon a week and work on their individual pieces. Linda has been working in oils, and these lovely ladies are working on masks for a production of Much Ado About Nothing that Linda will be directing in the Fall. They designed them and crafted them. There's a whole range of animals that are so clever and fun!
I've always wanted to take painting lessons (my mom has been taking them and is doing great!) so Linda let me use her watercolors and walked me through the basics. I had been looking for a photo all week I could copy and found one of a beach I liked.
After dinner at home we headed to DeLand for "Theology on Tap". A group of people from Linda's church meet on Thursday night's for a book discussion. They have been reading Conversations With God which I have to say I have not read, but given the discussion I could tell it held no interest for me. Definitely out of my comfort level and a group of very unique people (including a Wiccan priestess who just happened to drop in based on the sign out front) but it was definitely a lively discussion with lots of disagreement but the freedom to express your opinion. I said nothing, just listened....taking it all in.
Deland is a lovely historic town, home to Stetson University and full of all kinds of cute shops. We spent an hour just walking up the streets and of course stopping for some goodies at the Sweet Things shop!
They were preparing a new exhibit that was opening over the weekend so we got in for a sneak peek...
| The theatre space |
There is a group of artists who all get together one afternoon a week and work on their individual pieces. Linda has been working in oils, and these lovely ladies are working on masks for a production of Much Ado About Nothing that Linda will be directing in the Fall. They designed them and crafted them. There's a whole range of animals that are so clever and fun!
I've always wanted to take painting lessons (my mom has been taking them and is doing great!) so Linda let me use her watercolors and walked me through the basics. I had been looking for a photo all week I could copy and found one of a beach I liked.
| Before watercolor photo |
After dinner at home we headed to DeLand for "Theology on Tap". A group of people from Linda's church meet on Thursday night's for a book discussion. They have been reading Conversations With God which I have to say I have not read, but given the discussion I could tell it held no interest for me. Definitely out of my comfort level and a group of very unique people (including a Wiccan priestess who just happened to drop in based on the sign out front) but it was definitely a lively discussion with lots of disagreement but the freedom to express your opinion. I said nothing, just listened....taking it all in.
Deland is a lovely historic town, home to Stetson University and full of all kinds of cute shops. We spent an hour just walking up the streets and of course stopping for some goodies at the Sweet Things shop!
No comments:
Post a Comment