Monday, May 14, 2012

Festivals

 Saturday morning we headed back to the Gateway for the Farmer's Market.  Tons of fresh fruit and vegetables at incredibly LOW prices (cantaloupe $1/ watermelon $4) plus all kinds of crafts and fresh baked goods.  Also a stand with fresh lemonade that given the temp was somewhere in the 90's was heaven sent.  There was also a gentleman with a booth who was selling different types of llama products as he and his wife raise them.  He highly recommended his llama poop compost to mix in the soil so I promptly purchased a bag for Linda (because nothing says "thank you" like a hostess gift of llama poop) and her garden.

 I also took a few minutes to go in and visit with the folks taking a pottery class that's in a small separate building from the rest of the art center.  Great little set up and they have classes every Saturday morning.


 After we dropped perishable goodies off at the house we drove to Sanford and the St. John's River Festival of the Arts.


 The streets were lined with art and live music with a little food and drink thrown in.  Plenty to look at...photography, oils, jewelry, sculpture and multi-medium pieces.  Of course, now that I'm somewhat of a watercolor expert I had plenty to critique in some of the pieces I saw.  It was miserably warm and we were losing steam quickly so we made our rounds then headed back home to the pool and air conditioning.  Linda finished up some brownies she was taking to church the next day plus, the pastor was speaking on the Ethiopian Enuch (Acts 8:27-31) and Linda was to bring communion.  I suggested some sort of flat bread or something "ethiopian" in nature.  Turns out their bread is something like a crepe so she made little crepes for communion.
This gentleman was giving out the awards at the art festival

Now I feel compelled to photograph things that will be pretty to watercolor.

Our evening was spent at this cute little community theatre in Lake Helen seeing a production of The Dining Room.  Some good performances and a great way to top off a very busy day!

No comments: