You may remember in a much earlier blog when the wives from the first flight (Tom's first class) invited Badyrrah from Saudi Arabia to join us for pedicures and lunch. This photo is her husband Abdul and their two oldest sons during International Officers Cultural Day. I had not seen her since our lunch because their culture does not allow the women to fraternize in groups that include other men though Abdul can attend. Tuesday, Tom sent me an email that she would like me to come to her home for a ladies night dinner. I asked if the other Anglo wives were coming and he didn't know.
I was very concerned about dressing appropriately (I opted for a knee length denim skirt and 3/4 length sleeve, loose and conservative top) and was hoping the language barrier wasn't too difficult. She knows very little English. I had visions of me and 6 or so Saudi's sitting around a dinner table trying to communicate. When I arrived at 8 pm, Badyrrah answered the door in a long black dress with jewels and her long black hair waving down over her shoulders. Keep in mind last time I saw her she was dressed with a hijab wrapped around her head so she looked completely different. Another wife, Bonnie was already there as well as an Arabic friend of Badyrrah's who spoke beautiful English and acted as an interpreter. Within a few minutes, Danielle arrived as well with baby Ariana and I relaxed a little bit. Another American came and we were served dates & almonds with small cups of a Turkish coffee that was a blonde color and looked more like tea. .There were about 4-5 different pots on the table and apparently there were different types in each. We chatted a while and finally close to 9 pm, more women started coming. And coming. And coming. All middle eastern, beautiful, dressed to the nines (glitter, low cut, long dresses, very made up, etc.). We Americans looked at each other like...."clearly, we are under-dressed for this little soiree". Only two were wearing hijabs and they seemed a little older than the others. It turned out there's a community of women here who meet regularly. Some live here permanently and are married to Americans and others are here with husbands who are at school at Maxwell.

At around 9:30 they laid all the homemade food out on the table. Tabouleh (a salad made with mint, parsley & cracked wheat), Moutabel which has a smooth & creamy texture, chicken & rice with grilled vegetables, small pasta nests with peas and a creamy sauce and then rice wrapped in grape leaves (like greek Dolmathakia). Many desserts as well including one that was very much like Greek baklava. All very yummy!
We just fixed plates to have on our laps as by now there were approximately 20-25 of us. Once we had eaten, Baddyrah turned on the Arabic music, a drum came out and suddenly a couple of women were dancing...and then more were dancing. Think belly dancing. Think the the coin belts that tie around a belly dancer's hips. There were a few of those that got passed around. After about half an hour one of the ladies came dancing towards me and held out her hand. Next thing I know, I'm up on my feet doing my best to match her moves. She motioned for me to take the glasses off my head, then to take my ponytail down. Suddenly a girl with longer hair got up and showed me how I should be whipping my hair back and forth. They told me I should go home and do this dance for my husband! She also said, "you see we can be drunk without being drunk!"
The dancing and drumming to the music went on for some time and for a girl (um, me) whose bedtime is between 9 and 10 this was very, very late. There was finally a break in the action which allowed me to make a graceful exit. I'm so glad I was there and had this experience. It could not have been more different than what I had anticipated the evening to be. I wish I could have photographed these gorgeous, lively women but something in their culture doesn't allow it. But it was so fun to see a different side of them and made me grateful that in our country I have the freedom to be who I am all of the time.
I was very concerned about dressing appropriately (I opted for a knee length denim skirt and 3/4 length sleeve, loose and conservative top) and was hoping the language barrier wasn't too difficult. She knows very little English. I had visions of me and 6 or so Saudi's sitting around a dinner table trying to communicate. When I arrived at 8 pm, Badyrrah answered the door in a long black dress with jewels and her long black hair waving down over her shoulders. Keep in mind last time I saw her she was dressed with a hijab wrapped around her head so she looked completely different. Another wife, Bonnie was already there as well as an Arabic friend of Badyrrah's who spoke beautiful English and acted as an interpreter. Within a few minutes, Danielle arrived as well with baby Ariana and I relaxed a little bit. Another American came and we were served dates & almonds with small cups of a Turkish coffee that was a blonde color and looked more like tea. .There were about 4-5 different pots on the table and apparently there were different types in each. We chatted a while and finally close to 9 pm, more women started coming. And coming. And coming. All middle eastern, beautiful, dressed to the nines (glitter, low cut, long dresses, very made up, etc.). We Americans looked at each other like...."clearly, we are under-dressed for this little soiree". Only two were wearing hijabs and they seemed a little older than the others. It turned out there's a community of women here who meet regularly. Some live here permanently and are married to Americans and others are here with husbands who are at school at Maxwell.
We just fixed plates to have on our laps as by now there were approximately 20-25 of us. Once we had eaten, Baddyrah turned on the Arabic music, a drum came out and suddenly a couple of women were dancing...and then more were dancing. Think belly dancing. Think the the coin belts that tie around a belly dancer's hips. There were a few of those that got passed around. After about half an hour one of the ladies came dancing towards me and held out her hand. Next thing I know, I'm up on my feet doing my best to match her moves. She motioned for me to take the glasses off my head, then to take my ponytail down. Suddenly a girl with longer hair got up and showed me how I should be whipping my hair back and forth. They told me I should go home and do this dance for my husband! She also said, "you see we can be drunk without being drunk!"
The dancing and drumming to the music went on for some time and for a girl (um, me) whose bedtime is between 9 and 10 this was very, very late. There was finally a break in the action which allowed me to make a graceful exit. I'm so glad I was there and had this experience. It could not have been more different than what I had anticipated the evening to be. I wish I could have photographed these gorgeous, lively women but something in their culture doesn't allow it. But it was so fun to see a different side of them and made me grateful that in our country I have the freedom to be who I am all of the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment