I hadn't done a 5K in May which is quickly disappearing so I found one we could do while here. It was at Peachtree Presbyterian Church (doesn't that just sound like a Georgia church?) in a gorgeous affluent suburb called Buckhead. This church had a huge campus with I don't know how many chapels, a gym in a separate building, day care, counseling (which is what this run was raising funds for) and tons of classes offered on Sundays. Again, church in the South is a different animal.
The race didn't start until 9am and it was already very hot and this course had some hills. My goal to not walk hit the skids on the first big hill! Still, had my best time yet @ 37:07 and Tom placed third in his age category.
Even though our plans for the day were in the same area of the race, we were soaking wet after our little jaunt so headed back to the hotel for showers then turned around to go back to the Atlanta History Museum. Lots of interesting history from civil war to civil rights that sometimes showed them at their best and their not so best.
| This just creeped me out. |
| Gorgeous quilt |
Next, was the Swan House. A gorgeous mansion that was originally on the property and donated along with the grounds. No photos inside but the matron of the home loved swans so there were a lot of motifs with all kinds of birds. I loved it, Tom felt it was overdone. But then again, I'm a sucker for flowered wall paper and there was a den/library I would KILL to have.
We also walked up the path to the Swan Coach House which is now a restaurant, gallery and gift shop. It was full of women lunching and looked to be having bridal parties and such. It seemed "very Southern" in it's menu and decor and gave the impression of being a tad hoity toity. Very pricey retail as well.
| Victorian Playhouse on the property |
No comments:
Post a Comment