Monday, May 21, 2012

Ironman 70.3

Our morning started VERY early.  We were up by 4 AM to get ready and be out the door by 5 AM.  Tom's age group was set to go at 6:40 am and we wanted to make sure we were early enough to park, double check his set up, get markings on his body and relax a bit. Fortunately, we hit the jackpot on a great parking place right across the street from the entrance!


 Athletes making a last minute run to the porta-potties before race time.  I found that funny.

 Each age group had a different colored cap they had to wear.  Tom was in the red group.  They would go through the starting "gate" then stand in the water until a horn blew.  Tom's was the first age group after the pro's started.

THERE THEY GO!
 Once the swim started, I figured I had at least 50-60 minutes before he came in.  I had set up my chair in the shade just next to Tom's area in transition so I wandered back there.  Just in time to see "you know who" come running through to get his bike.
Lance Armstrong in the lead......

                  Tom came running in from the swim to grab his bike after 66 minutes.  He was not happy with that time!
 Transitions into bike and takes off!
     McSpeedy Armstrong blazes through after his bike ride (really, is it fair to let him compete in the bike portion?) and begins his run.  He eventually takes first place overall.
 Once the 56 mile bike ride started we had PLENTY of time to hang out so Jessie and baby Boston and I visited while she filled me in on the awesomeness of Ironman competitions. Thinks I would love it if I started training.  I, who barely make it through 5K's!  She too is an athlete (personal trainer) and the only reason she's not competing is that she had a baby 6 weeks ago (slacker) but she's chomping at the bit to get back to it.  She and Oz have both done FULL and half triathlons all over the world.  In fact, he proposed at the finish line of one!
 Tom was back from the bike after 3 hours and 12 minutes to start his run.  It was VERY hot and humid.  They had to do a 13.1 mile run around the lake (3 laps) in the sun and you could tell people were hurting.  Jessie and I found a place right next to the trail so we could keep rooting them on.  After a 2:43 run, Tom finished his first half-tri in 7:11:16!  He, of course, wanted to be faster but that time was awesome!




We walked over to the lake so he could cool down, loaded his stuff back into the car, drank LOTS of liquids then headed back to the massage tent.

 Oz had just finished up a massage and they were heading out.  He's been a great source of support and encouragement through this.  In fact the night before after they fed us dinner,  they showed us a dvd of the Hawaii Ironman to get Tom all psyched up to compete in the morning. It worked!
SO Proud of him!

He got a much deserved 60 minute massage with Gabby again while I sat and people watched.  Remember the photo of the boys looking at the swimming course I posted yesterday?  Yep, I'm just saying' there was some good people watching......

No comments: