Thursday, August 2, 2012

Road Trip July 30-Aug 2

We got a little off track when we spent more time in South Dakota than originally planned but we kept happening upon things we just had to stop and see.  You can't pass this many corn fields and not want to stop and see The Corn Palace!

 The whole place is decorated in corn!  Cobs, kernels, husks, you name it, the place is covered in corn designs and apparently they change the theme every year!  I had seen a story in Country Living magazine many years ago about it and as soon as I saw the sign I knew we had to take a detour to see it.


This is what Tom was doing while I was seeing the inside of the palace.  There had been a big mess up with our travel $ AND his last check so he spent a good long time talking to many people trying to straighten it out. In the mean time, I went inside where they many souvenirs and this entire auditorium (they use the space for conventions and concerts) was also decorated in corn.


 Because we spent extra time in SD, and well, maybe because I got confused and thought that my schedule said Sioux Falls, SD instead of Sioux City, Iowa we got a tad behind.  So other than stopping to see a windmill (which frankly was a little disappointing to have gone off track for) we sped up and headed to Nauvoo, IL.


 It was interesting to see a place that we've always heard so much about.
 I thought this was fascinating.  Always had a hard time envisioning the wagons crossing the water.


Nauvoo Temple

 We caught the end of a performance outside the visitor's center

 Next to all the corn around the area, there were also these plants.  I finally pulled over so Tom could see what they were but he couldn't tell.

As we pulled out of town we happened upon a little shop that had all kinds of goodies and bought some cheese for our travels. After that, a lot of our meals looked like this.  Nothing beats a baguette, fruit and cheese!
 We spent that night in Peoria.  We tried to get into the Marriott just off the freeway but they were booked, so they sent across the street to the Residence Inn which was very nice.  However, when they give you a full kitchen they don't give you a full breakfast.  I think I prefer the latter!

From that point on, we did some serious driving.  We had finished one book on tape Wild: From Lost to Found on The Pacific Crest Trail  which was just okay, but we were now into a Benjamin Franklin biography.  So other than for stretches and potty breaks, we just kept moving.



 I can't even remember what this building was....but it was cool looking.
 I don't know if these are considered the Blue Ridge Mountains but the drive as we got into West Virginia was just a lot of mountains and open road.  Beautiful though.

                    We did cross both the Mississippi and the Missouri Rivers on this trip!


We spent our last night on the road in Mineral Wells, WV and frankly, I don't remember a thing about it.  We were at the point of being ready to be off of the road and into one place for a bit.

We were happy to finally be to our destination and were thankful for safe travels and that our old, high mileage car continued to plug along.  She was ready for a rest as well!


Our home until we find something else!


No comments: