I'm not really sure what this particular entry is about but I'm feeling compelled to address this subject after reading Michele's blog, several articles in the newspaper of late and after an emergency trip home to Utah to try and rescue one of our children yet again. I suppose I'm heartsick for parents who become activists AFTER they've lost children because while it's all happening A) you don't want to believe it's happening and B) you are afraid of being judged. But after years of dealing with children with addiction issues I've discovered keeping quiet about it does not benefit anyone.
I'm not going to pretend that I understand addiction even after reading a plethora of books, articles, watching DVD's, participating in DVD's, attending Nar Anon or Al Anon meetings and talking with more doctors than I care to count. But I have seen the results of it. Young adults who turn into people you don't recognize. Someone who was a darling, funny, smart & loving child turns into a stranger who will do anything including lie, cheat, and steal to sustain a habit that has completely overcome their being. They lose their soul and their moral compass and as one doctor told me, "Trust me, no one is more soul sick over becoming this shadow of themselves than the addict when they're finally clean and realize what they've done". But even that cannot stop them from using again and again.
As a parent you look at everything you did in raising them and wonder what you could have done differently and how you somehow helped cause this. Maybe we had them involved in too much. Softball, soccer, dance, music.......or maybe we didn't do enough.....perhaps I should have home schooled, or sent them to private christian school, or not had television in the house or locked them in their rooms with no access to the outside world at all. Yes, these are the kinds of thoughts you have. Then you are angry because even though you brought them up within a loving extended family, going to church every week, with teachers and scout leaders who loved them and did everything right, they still made these choices. And then you see kids who were brought up in completely dysfunctional homes and NO religious upbringing and those kids thrive in spite of that. But then you sit in court and watch your kid brought in in shackles and you're sitting next to the weeping parent who actually did exactly some of those things you thought you were lacking and their kid is brought in right after yours.
Ultimately, we have come to know that they have made these choices for themselves. Yes, both sides of our family tree's have genetically had addiction issues, so perhaps once a child with that link takes a step down that road they're more prone to deep trouble. But they do have to make that choice and that step at some point and take responsibility for it. They also have to make the choice to get well. We can't do it for them. We can push, prod, scream, cry, beg and anything else you can think of. But until they are ready to face their demons, we are wasting our time, our financial resources, our emotional energy, our own health and sometimes our own relationships. One thing I thank God for every day is that Tom and I have basically been on the same page throughout this ordeal. Many relationships do not last through this kind of trauma. We have learned and grown through this process and have gone from sleepless, crying heaps on the floor to trusting in God to lead and guide us in making decisions or NOT making decisions on behalf of our children. Two years ago we would not have been in a place where we could turn our own child in to authorities where they would at least be safe, have to get clean, and deal with their legal issues. But that's where we are now. And we can sleep at night. And we've found that in sharing our struggles, there are more people than you can possibly know out there going through the very same thing. People you would never imagine would have to deal with this problem.
On my flight home I had a plane change in Las Vegas. A woman who had shared my aisle with a seat between us asked as we pulled into Vegas if I was going on. I told her yes, and told her where I was going. She said she was also changing planes and going on to visit grandchildren as she and her husband were going to be leaving soon to serve a mission in Hawaii and she wouldn't get to see the grandkids for awhile. She also said they had just finished up a mission calling at the prison working with inmates with addiction issues. I hesitated, then told her why I was in town. She put her arm around me and testified of the programs they have in jail for addicts and assured me we had done the right thing. She also shared the story of their adult daughter who had become a meth addict but was now, 8 years later, clean and putting her life back together. Then she quietly said that Jeffrey Holland had come to visit the inmates and had said that when Jesus returns he will not sit down and "go over things with the bishops and the pastors" he will surround himself with those like the inmates who need him most. He said "Even now the Savior walks these halls". I am counting on that.
We have a prayer book that we use every night before bedtime. This is one of my favorites:
Lord, I pray You would make whole anything in my child's life that is broken. Bring restoration of all that has been lost. Restore lost time, lost opportunities, lost health, lost relationships, or whatever else that has been taken from them. Bring the transformation needed so that they receive the wholeness You have for them. Once they have been set free, help them to stay free. Keep them from becoming entangled again. I say to You, Lord, "Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and Your glory above all the earth; that Your beloved may be delivered"(Psalm 108:5-6). In Jesus' name I pray.
I'm not going to pretend that I understand addiction even after reading a plethora of books, articles, watching DVD's, participating in DVD's, attending Nar Anon or Al Anon meetings and talking with more doctors than I care to count. But I have seen the results of it. Young adults who turn into people you don't recognize. Someone who was a darling, funny, smart & loving child turns into a stranger who will do anything including lie, cheat, and steal to sustain a habit that has completely overcome their being. They lose their soul and their moral compass and as one doctor told me, "Trust me, no one is more soul sick over becoming this shadow of themselves than the addict when they're finally clean and realize what they've done". But even that cannot stop them from using again and again.
As a parent you look at everything you did in raising them and wonder what you could have done differently and how you somehow helped cause this. Maybe we had them involved in too much. Softball, soccer, dance, music.......or maybe we didn't do enough.....perhaps I should have home schooled, or sent them to private christian school, or not had television in the house or locked them in their rooms with no access to the outside world at all. Yes, these are the kinds of thoughts you have. Then you are angry because even though you brought them up within a loving extended family, going to church every week, with teachers and scout leaders who loved them and did everything right, they still made these choices. And then you see kids who were brought up in completely dysfunctional homes and NO religious upbringing and those kids thrive in spite of that. But then you sit in court and watch your kid brought in in shackles and you're sitting next to the weeping parent who actually did exactly some of those things you thought you were lacking and their kid is brought in right after yours.
Ultimately, we have come to know that they have made these choices for themselves. Yes, both sides of our family tree's have genetically had addiction issues, so perhaps once a child with that link takes a step down that road they're more prone to deep trouble. But they do have to make that choice and that step at some point and take responsibility for it. They also have to make the choice to get well. We can't do it for them. We can push, prod, scream, cry, beg and anything else you can think of. But until they are ready to face their demons, we are wasting our time, our financial resources, our emotional energy, our own health and sometimes our own relationships. One thing I thank God for every day is that Tom and I have basically been on the same page throughout this ordeal. Many relationships do not last through this kind of trauma. We have learned and grown through this process and have gone from sleepless, crying heaps on the floor to trusting in God to lead and guide us in making decisions or NOT making decisions on behalf of our children. Two years ago we would not have been in a place where we could turn our own child in to authorities where they would at least be safe, have to get clean, and deal with their legal issues. But that's where we are now. And we can sleep at night. And we've found that in sharing our struggles, there are more people than you can possibly know out there going through the very same thing. People you would never imagine would have to deal with this problem.
On my flight home I had a plane change in Las Vegas. A woman who had shared my aisle with a seat between us asked as we pulled into Vegas if I was going on. I told her yes, and told her where I was going. She said she was also changing planes and going on to visit grandchildren as she and her husband were going to be leaving soon to serve a mission in Hawaii and she wouldn't get to see the grandkids for awhile. She also said they had just finished up a mission calling at the prison working with inmates with addiction issues. I hesitated, then told her why I was in town. She put her arm around me and testified of the programs they have in jail for addicts and assured me we had done the right thing. She also shared the story of their adult daughter who had become a meth addict but was now, 8 years later, clean and putting her life back together. Then she quietly said that Jeffrey Holland had come to visit the inmates and had said that when Jesus returns he will not sit down and "go over things with the bishops and the pastors" he will surround himself with those like the inmates who need him most. He said "Even now the Savior walks these halls". I am counting on that.
We have a prayer book that we use every night before bedtime. This is one of my favorites:
Lord, I pray You would make whole anything in my child's life that is broken. Bring restoration of all that has been lost. Restore lost time, lost opportunities, lost health, lost relationships, or whatever else that has been taken from them. Bring the transformation needed so that they receive the wholeness You have for them. Once they have been set free, help them to stay free. Keep them from becoming entangled again. I say to You, Lord, "Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and Your glory above all the earth; that Your beloved may be delivered"(Psalm 108:5-6). In Jesus' name I pray.
5 comments:
Teri~Thank you so much for addressing this issue in such a brave, loving, compassionate, and forthright stance. I am so proud of you and the courage that you and Tom have exhibited throughout this ordeal. It is always a relief when we can turn our hearts and soul over to a loving Heavenly Father who will always be there to carry us at our heaviest load. And to have family who understands the heartache without being judgmental is also a relief. Blessings of LOVE and continued prayers extended for your family. Some are still not brave enough to follow thru with admitting and taking responsibility. Love you all so much.
I often think of the genetics of it all. I would love to go back in time and one look at both my grandfathers that made life tough for their children. Just in my own children with all the ADHA issues that they have and now in my grandchildren. People start to self medicated themselves to feel normal, to erase pain or they are the ones who try something because their friends are taking it and get hooked. It is hard to see our children make poor choices. Will be thinking of your family and that it will all have a good out come in what ever that might be.
I hope the best for your whole family. Thank God you have Tom and he has You. As long as you stay a unit, I think anything is possible. Thanks for your help as well.
I am alittle late in reading this...but I understand, have been and get it. You and Tom are lucky to have each other and to be on the same page. That will help YOU and your kids. I love you...and appreciate your friendship and really appreciate your honesty. You are awesome, awesome... and appreciate you writing this. You are in prayers as I know I have been in yours. Love you.
Teri, while it breaks my heart to hear you and Tom are going through this (I had no idea until now), I too appreciate the honesty & candor.
My sis-in-law has been in ICU for the last 10 days. The day we got there with her another family was beginning a journey of heartbreak and tragedy with a 24 year old son who was brought in after an unintentional overdose on heroin and who knows what else, aspirating on his own vomit while his 'friends' were too wasted to notice he was in trouble. I have seen this mother go through hell, from when he was in a coma to when he woke up and didn't know any of them to his liver and kidneys shutting down. He will live, but will be on dialysis the rest of his life and will suffer the effects of this incident on his brain.
He was a 'good kid' that they have dealt with in and out of addiction for years. Thank God you are not at this stage.
We too have been forced into a couple of 'interventions' years ago with a couple of our children and I can only thank God that they turned out all right. I will be praying for yours to turn the corner as well.
Love you guys....
Post a Comment