So yes, if you have access to Facebook you know I've done nothing but whine about my broken computer. Tom has 2 others here but they're both from the military with tight security so I am very limited. If I posted anything via those computers they would have to kill me and most likely the three of you who read this blog as well. Thankfully I had the base library and their computers to do important things like pay bills but I'm happy to have a new computer with access to my photos and such. Let the catching up begin!
| Yes, I did walk away with some awesome jewelry |
February was Mardi Gras month here in the South. This has never been a favorite holiday for moi as back in the day I always had to plan a gimongous party at GreenStreet that brought my stress level through the roof.
Here, we attended a couple of small local parades early in the month then decided to head to Mobile, AL one Sunday after church for their parades. Apparently it was Joe Caine day and there were no less than 4 parades going on that day. Joe Caine is credited with bringing Mardi Gras to Mobile which is considered it's home contrary to New Orleans hijacking it. Mobile prides itself on it's family friendly version which was more to my liking. You may recall I didn't fall in love with Bourbon Street.
We happened upon a great place on the sidewalk. The streets are narrow and so you're right up close to the floats. Anyone can participate in this parade (Mobile had about 4 parades a day in the couple of weeks leading up to Mardi Gras) so there were all kinds of groups. Tons of beads were thrown, candy and Moon Pies! Can't really find a reference as to how Moon Pies became the token goody but they're flying' all over the place. Mobile even has a giant Moon Pie that drops on New Years Eve!
We enjoyed a funnel cake during the first parade then after parade number two and a walk around downtown we headed to a little tea place for lunch. Lobster bisque was yummy a nice ending to a Sunday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment