Every month the international students meet for a "coffee" from 9-11 on the 2nd Tuesday of the month in the basement of the base chapel. It gives them a chance to be together, practice their english and make new friends. Today's "coffee" was actually a full meal as we introduced them to our Thanksgiving.
Volunteer Leona pointed out what all the food items were and Jody told the story of the first Thanksgiving before offering a prayer over the food. The cute couple in the pilgrim costumes talked about what the period may have been like for those who lived here during that time.
Needless to say there was a plethora of traditional food and I think the ladies all seemed a tad stunned that we would really eat this much at one meal. I did keep reminding them that this meal wouldn't normally take place at 10 AM. They did seem to enjoy it though they certainly don't load their plates the way we Americans do.
Everyone had a good time and at my table alone I had friends from Pakistan, the Philippines, Japan, Turkey, India and Estonia and Albania.
1 comment:
You are a natural at breaking the ice you have the right personality and you can talk to anyone unlike me I would most likely have sat in the corner petrified.
Post a Comment