Friday, November 4, 2011

Doing DC

We met in the hotel lobby early the next morning. Raymond couldn’t join us, as he is president of the International Council of Fine Arts Deans so his meetings started earlier than Brent’s. Stopped for a quick breakfast back at the mall’s food court then hopped the metro for a day of sight seeing.

We got off in Arlington and had a lovely, long walk. The day was perfect for being outside and we headed toward the Lincoln Memorial. It’s impossible to see this place too many times I say. The reflecting pool is under construction and is basically non-existent so we veered off and headed toward the Korean War Memorial. There is something creepy about this one to me. I think it’s the ghost like figures and Kim (ever the artist) pointed out the patina on the figures is probably made that way for a purpose. I think the first time I visited it I was alone and it was dusk…thus making its eeriness that much more so.



Our specific destination was the new Martin Luther King Jr. National Monument. At first arrival it’s two big white rocks with a cutting out of the middle. It’s not until you make your way up further that you find the piece that is missing from the middle has the sculpture of MLK on the backside. I hadn’t even seen photos of the monument so it was all a surprise to me.

Many MLK quotes line the walls and given my recent studies of the civil rights movement, they were especially moving. There was a large group of elderly African Americans having their photo taken in front of the monument and many individuals were asking Kim to take photos for them. He ended up spending several minutes there.


Next up, the National World War II Memorial which was also new to me. They now have postings near the monuments with phone numbers you can call up on your phone and get information on each of the monuments, but there is nothing like tagging onto a group being led by a park ranger who knows the monuments well. There were also plenty of veterans at this one, which I found very moving.





We walked through the Vietnam Memorial (by the way, I always learn something new about each of these when I see them) then past the Washington Memorial which apparently had workers recently repelling down the sides of it examining it for damage after the August earthquake. I can’t imagine hanging off the side of that thing! We made our way to the National Gallery and spent the rest of the afternoon there.


I will just say I’m not crazy about modern art so the boys delighted in getting my comments on entire rooms filled with beige canvasses. No, I’m sorry, that is NOT art, but there were plenty of wonderful things to see. We hurried through a Warhol exhibition and spent most of our time in the regular collection which contain my favorites anyway! Had a leisurely lunch in the museum café, shopped a bit, looked at the downpour which had started outside and lingered awhile until it stopped.



Hopped the Metro back to the hotel, regrouped and headed for the Skydome at the Doubletree where they were staying, for happy hour. It’s one of those slowly revolving rooms that give you a great view of the city. So we relaxed there for a while before catching a cab to King Street in Alexandria for dinner.

Kim had a place he wanted to go that his brother loved when he lived in the area so we hit The Fish Market. King Street is near where Tom stayed when he was stationed at Coast Guard Headquarters for a year after 9/11. I was very familiar with the area and love King Street that is lined with great restaurants, shops, and gorgeous architecture. The bottom of the street leads to the Potomac. We had a wonderful dinner then started walking. And walking. And walking. Though I was in comfortable boots, I hadn’t worn them since last spring so after I don’t know how many miles we walked I had developed a few blisters. Finally found our way to the metro, back to our rooms and after a hot bath….fell fast asleep.

Note cute scarf Kim bought for me at the museum gift shop!

No comments: