Friday, November 4, 2011

The Weekend

Yes, I'm a week behind but here's the wrap up on the North East trip:

Friday, Dallis and I headed into DC. She hadn't seen the MLK monument yet so we went there first then headed to the National Portrait Gallery for a couple of hours. Never enough time to see everything but given my Civil War audiobook on the way into town I was especially interested in that section. Suddenly all those portraits meant something as I had recently learned about each of them. Loved the president's section as well. I have an actress friend who portrayed this woman (Margaret Fuller) in a play so that was kind of fun. And of course, the gorgeous stained glass. I could do a full museum of just that! After our visit we hit a restaurant for Mexican food then headed home to settle in. I tried to stay awake for the World Series but couldn't keep my eyes open so hit the sack.

Margaret Fuller

Saturday, we spent the day running around in the rain doing real life things. We took Dalliss's daughter Jalene to the river where they worked on their boats getting ready for the upcoming crew season. We had a few hours to wait for her so we went and sat and had a leisurely breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Later in the afternoon I also got a chance to go visit my cousin Vicky who just happens to live within walking distance of Dalliss. It was nice to spend a little time catching up on family then the rest of evening packing up then even more visiting (yes, we DID have a lot to catch up on!) before heading out the next morning.

I left early Sunday morning around 6:30 and set my GPS to take me home a different way. I went through VA, Tennessee, then into Alabama. I did have the two audio books to keep me company. One was Anita Shreeve's RESCUE (definitely a pass on this one), the other was Maya Angelou's LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER which is really a book of essays. It was okay but neither was earth shattering. Love Cracker Barrel's library idea (you can pick it up at one location and drop it off at any other on your travels) but they really need to improve the selection. Arrived home safe and sound around 7 pm, very happy to see my studious husband!

1 comment:

FRYBABY said...

Tom looks pretty intent there in his pj's!!! Either that or he is in a daze trying to wake up:)