Monday, November 7, 2011

Here's to the Ladies Who Lunch and Pedi

The wives of Tom's classmates decided to get together for a girls day out last week. As I mentioned we have several expectant mothers who needed some pampering...especially Danielle who is expecting any second now. One of the other moms-to-be went into early labor so she wasn't able to join us as she's at home on meds and bed rest to keep the baby put for as long as possible. She's not due until Jan. We're all doing dinners for them so she can keep resting. I'm about to go roast a chicken when I finish up here.

I've mentioned that Tom has a classmate from Saudi Arabia. His wife has been shy about joining us because in her country women do not fraternize with men other than a husband, father and brothers. Abdul has come to dinner and bbq's with the other couples but she has not. With this being just the wives she was more comfortable. I picked she and her 4 1/2 year old son up and we arrived earlier than the others. I was glad because we got the two female manicurists. I'm sure she wouldn't have let a male work on her. She is still struggling with English but we managed to communicate and I think she's doing amazingly well. She didn't however want to be photographed which according to the internet is not uncommon. She also happened to pick something out on the lunch menu at Mimi's that had bacon on it. She wasn't even sure what it was when she saw it so we had to send it back and have them remake it without. Anyway, I think she had a good time getting out of the house and am hoping that she will join us for more outings. I'm sure this is a huge transition for her. Apparently in Saudi Arabia she has a driver, a maid, people who come to her home to do manicures, pedis, and anything else you'd have done in a salon. Given the photos she showed me from her phone, their home is also quite lovely there. It's so much fun to get to know these very interesting people and their cultures!
Bonnie and Karen
Danielle

No comments: