This was my third 5K and was a fundraiser for the Montgomery area food bank. Everyone also brought canned goods. My running time was a couple of minutes slower this race but I have definitely cut back on the training (that, by the way is a much more athletic word than what I actually do) this past month with all the traveling. Will have to step it up. Even though it was hard it still feels good to actually finish and I will continue my goal to do a 5K each month that we're here.
Tom took third in his age category which he was very proud of until we congratulated the man standing next to us who took first in the category. Turns out he was visiting from Northern CA and is just getting back into running after suffering a major heart attack 7 months ago. He was very nice and he and Tom traded training tips, but after he left it occurred to Tom that he had just been beaten by a man who was basically dead on his bedroom floor 7 months ago.
After breakfast at Chappy's Deli (one of the sponsors of the race) we stopped at the Farmer's Market in downtown Montgomery on the way home. I purchased a large bunch of fresh basil from a vendor who told me about how difficult his last customer had been given she wasn't happy about the size of the kale bunches he had. It looked huge to me and I told him so. Suddenly I was his new best friend so he pulled out a ziploc bag of mixed, fresh and chopped veggies (cabbage, onion, peppers, zuch, and yellow squash) and told me how to make them into a yummy dinner. Heat some olive oil, chopped garlic, then add the packet of veggies along with some Conecuh sausage. Two things here. First of all, he had a very thick southern accent so I thought he said some kind of sauce. When I asked him to repeat the sauce, he said 'No, conecuh sausage!" Secondly, At breakfast they had that same sausage on the menu and I asked the waitress what it was. She described it as spicier than most breakfast sausage. The fact that we had been introduced to this sausage twice in one hour seemed like the Almighty tellin' us we'd better try it. Recipe continued: Slice the sausage (which I learned is made in Alabama) into the veggies to flavor them then add any seasonings you like. He suggested italian. After about 10 minutes when the cabbage starts to wilt, slice some tomatoes on top along with the basil and cover it for a few minutes more. He said "I'm gonna give you this for free today but it's so good y'all be back here next week wantin' to pay me for it!" It was and we definitely will.
No comments:
Post a Comment