I don't have Dylan on Mondays so we've been doing a lot of site seeing on those days. Monticello has been on our list since we got here and we've never made it so we made the 2 hour drive. Beautiful day and unseasonably warm so it was great to wander the gardens. The house was cool too but since a lot of the art and furniture is on loan we couldn't take photos in there. It's such a gorgeous location, up on a hill overseeing the gardens, grapevines and out buildings. I kept snapping photos so I could remember the design of the home.
Down a path from the house is the graveyard. I find it so interesting the number of presidents who weren't interested in being buried in DC but just wanted to go home to their farms and homes and to buried with their family.
We stopped at this cute tavern just down the hill from Monticello to grab dinner. They were just getting ready to close at 3pm so we hurried and said we'd stay before they closed up the buffet. Turned out the buffet was merely, chicken, pulled pork, potatoes, beans, salad and roll. For $17 each! No drink, no dessert. Yikes! And the food wasn't that great. Oh well, lesson learned.







No comments:
Post a Comment