Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Downside of Veganism

"Beef" pot pie with chopped spinach, celery & radish salad
So we've 17 full days under our belt (and above) of vegan eating.  This week I decided to throw in some vegan-esque food to try it out.  That means fake food.  Well, not fake, but soy based then seasoned to taste like say...meat.  Or different proteins made to appear and taste like cheese.  I do have to say the tofu sour cream was pretty awesome.  But the others.....meh.  For instance I made these beef pot pies...that I ended up picking the "beef" out of.  Tom liked it better than I did. The substitutes are okay in a bind but I'm finding I really just prefer the real thing when it comes to clean eating. 

Yesterday we wanted a snack after a long bike ride.  Went with nachos with "cheese" (kind of tasted like Cheez Whiz and had kind of a weird texture) which Tom didn't mind but I preferred the tofu "sour cream" and homemade salsa.

The other downside is the cost.  Holy cow!  To buy the specialty stuff you have to go hunting and Whole Foods is a good source.  But these TWO bags of groceries ran me $80!!!  I know.  Crazy.  I also bought a couple of vegan muffins for us to try and again....$2 each.  Good, but expensive.  We also were out running errands one night much later than we anticipated so we stopped at Wegman's Market to take advantage of their buffet bars so we could handpick what we would eat.  I ended up with mostly asian and Tom with indian food.  I was awake all night with it sitting in my stomach!  



 So I'm going back to mostly concentrating on the good old fashioned fresh veggies and fruit. They taste better and make me feel better!  Overall we feel awesome, have tons of energy and the weight is coming down very gradually.....

Japanese Sweet Potato and Spring Mix Salad
Ratatouille Pie, Green Beans & Salad
Whole Wheat pasta & veggies with strawberry spinach salad and whole wheat roll

No comments: