Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mount Vernon





 Sunday afternoon we had our international students over for lunch before going to Mount Vernon.  I forget how the little things are so much fun with them.  Like Zimo wanting to know about football.  We had an NFL game on tv when they arrived and Tom was telling him the rules.  We had salad, bruschetta and penne pasta with sauce & vegetarian meatballs.  Most food types are new to them...especially Zimo so even the word pasta needed to be explained.  Alexis brought some yummy cupcakes....even a vegan one for Taylor which we promptly popped in the freezer for his return!  They were both mystified by the dishwasher!  Zimo has one in his apartment but has never used one.  Alexis wanted to know everything about it.  The soap capsules, how it works, etc.  Very fun!


We took the beautiful drive along George Washington Memorial Parkway to Mount Vernon.  It's one of the few things in DC that is open but it's also not free.  We wandered the gardens while waiting for our tour time and Alexis took these 4 pretty photos.  She loves nature and something like the bee in her photo just amazes her.  I just love being with her....she's so smart, inquisitive and funny!



 "I had rather be at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of state and the representatives of every power in Europe." - George Washington






Zimo is 22, very shy and says when he is not in class or in the library studying he is mostly at his apartment.  He said he hasn't had much of a family life.  He has a younger sister who is 10 (his mother died and this sister is with his father's second wife) but he spent much of his life in a boarding school.  Not much of a relationship with his father either apparently.  Hoping his relationship with Tom will be helpful.

 No photos allowed inside the mansion and the dining room is under repair so we didn't see it.  It's interesting, but the grounds, museum and educational wing are really the biggest draw for me.  Oh, and the restaurant and shops!

I was thinking we should have gotten season passes as I just love this place and it would be so different in every season.  I think everytime I've been there it's been Autumn.  I need to change it up a bit!  Very peaceful (except for all the people) and beautiful.  

No comments: