We had to be up and out the door early Sunday morning. I decided to go along to watch and once we got to the Metro it was clear the jam packed trains of people were all headed to the Pentagon with us!

Fortunately I was standing up on this hill away from the crowds. I'm not a big "crowd" kinda gal.
Once it was time for each wave to take off, a line of Army members walked them to the starting line and a cannon shot off to get them going. Tom took off a little late as did a lot of runners. I saw them scrambling all over the place... the organization seemed off. Very unclear as to where they were supposed to be.
I found a great place to stand and watch the runners. The wounded warriors just killed me when they came through. So brave! Saw our friend Jessie come through as well but too fast to get a photo.
Tom ran well and finished in 90 minutes which was faster than he expected. His knees have really been bugging him so I was glad he felt good about it.
Still disorganized and wouldn't let us walk to the finish line so had to go back, stand in line for a shuttle then ride all the way around the other side of the Pentagon to get to the finish. Pretty disgruntled by then since I had all Tom's stuff (including his phone) and no way to communicate with him or find him in the zillions of people. Clearly, "see you at the finish line" was too vague! Finally he called me from a co-worker's phone and we found a meet up place. Grabbed food and then walked all the way to Crystal City to catch the Metro hoping to miss all the people getting on at the Pentagon. It worked!
Came home and crashed before making cupcakes then heading back out for our final Ready, Set, Tri! group activity. We met at Ashley's in Columbia Heights for lasagna, salad, bread &...cupcakes. Had a great time and got to hear everyone's stories about their first triathlon. Was great to see them and will really miss hanging out with them on Saturdays. All terrific and fun people.
From back: Ashley, Kristen, Jenny, Sarah, Dave, Me, Angie, Jen, Josh, Sarah, Megan, Celia, Ben and Tom
Yikes! 35,000 runners so Tom ran to find his "wave" of co-runners to stand with until time for them to take off. They had to stand by the balloons that matched their bib color.
Fortunately I was standing up on this hill away from the crowds. I'm not a big "crowd" kinda gal.
I found a great place to stand and watch the runners. The wounded warriors just killed me when they came through. So brave! Saw our friend Jessie come through as well but too fast to get a photo.
Tom ran well and finished in 90 minutes which was faster than he expected. His knees have really been bugging him so I was glad he felt good about it.
Still disorganized and wouldn't let us walk to the finish line so had to go back, stand in line for a shuttle then ride all the way around the other side of the Pentagon to get to the finish. Pretty disgruntled by then since I had all Tom's stuff (including his phone) and no way to communicate with him or find him in the zillions of people. Clearly, "see you at the finish line" was too vague! Finally he called me from a co-worker's phone and we found a meet up place. Grabbed food and then walked all the way to Crystal City to catch the Metro hoping to miss all the people getting on at the Pentagon. It worked!
Came home and crashed before making cupcakes then heading back out for our final Ready, Set, Tri! group activity. We met at Ashley's in Columbia Heights for lasagna, salad, bread &...cupcakes. Had a great time and got to hear everyone's stories about their first triathlon. Was great to see them and will really miss hanging out with them on Saturdays. All terrific and fun people.
From back: Ashley, Kristen, Jenny, Sarah, Dave, Me, Angie, Jen, Josh, Sarah, Megan, Celia, Ben and Tom
No comments:
Post a Comment