Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Day In The Life

It occurs to me that it might look like (according to this blog) all we do is play.  The reality is most days are pretty bland.  We get up, I make Tom's lunch and our morning smoothie while he gets ready for work.  I sometimes take the 10 minute walk with him there but now that it's getting cooler....not so much.  I work out, do laundry, pay bills, get groceries, answer emails,....you know, that kind of stuff.  Midlife doesn't change up those sort of activities much.

Lately, as we contemplate his Coast Guard retirement, we've been checking on finances....what we've been putting away, etc.  Something we should ALL do at least annually.  We also met with our "money guy" while we were in UT for our annual check up.  That, along with our financial guru Dave Ramsey, convinced us that even though we're doing well at putting away for retirement....we're spending WAY too much on rent in DC.  Dave says you should not spend more than 25-35% of your monthly take home pay on rent or mortgage payments. SO, the search began last weekend for a new apartment.



 So after a morning swim.....
 Sitting in on a couple of workshops and a job fair at the Assoc. of the United States Army Convention....
 I hopped on the green line and got off at each of the stops where living within walking distance of the metro would lower our rent by at least a thousand dollars a month.  Yes.  One thousand dollars.  Crazy, right?  Today I switch to the red line to check out those areas.  Kind of fun to explore new neighborhoods but the thought of packing and moving......not so much.

No comments: