Friday, June 15, 2012

Gathering of Eagles


 Last week was The Gathering of Eagles.  Fifteen students were in a group that researched, visited with, then brought in guest speakers who had significant military backgrounds that the ASCS students then interviewed on stage for 45 minutes after a video highlighting their service.  This year's Eagles were fascinating and I spent three days from 8-1in the auditorium with Tom to hear their stories.  From POW's to test pilots and from a Tuskegee Airman to Gail Halverson; The Candy Bomber.  I can't do their stories justice, but each was inspiring, articulate and amazing...some even well into their 90's.


Medal of Honor recipient Leo Thorness
Gail Halverson
Fellow civilian classmates Scott and Jan
 Later that afternoon we came back to purchase books and have them autographed before heading over to the hangar to see some planes and have some bbq.


Touring the Spirit of Freedom 



 One of my favorite speakers was Brigadier General Rhonda Cornum, a flight surgeon who was captured and tortured in Iraq. Her whole message was about trying to be positive when there doesn't seem to be anything going your way.  When she was held captive, she was grateful she was at least alive.  I found her to be very uplifting.  Unfortunately her book SHE WENT TO WAR is out of print but she told me when I spoke to her at the ball Saturday night that if I found one on Amazon she would autograph it for me!



No comments: