Friday, April 13, 2012

Just Another Day in Alabama

Have I mentioned how lucky I am to be here?  There are days that I start freaking out over having not worked during our time here......then I remember that this will soon come to an end, I'll have plenty of time to work, and because I have this freedom right now I am able to spend days like this. Count your blessings I say!

First, Tom and I were up bright and early to go to a hot yoga class (room is 85 degrees), then off to the base gym for showers then he to class and me to my wonderful Bible study group.  We are doing a study on the book of James that has really spoken to us.  It is 2 hours that I so look forward to weekly (even the homework through the week) and something I am going to miss when we leave here.

When we finished I headed to the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts.  There are some new exhibits that opened in the past few weeks so I got to spend a leisurely 90 minutes wandering through this gorgeous place!


Oil painting of old Montgomery

I could just sit and look at this window all day.

These especially caught my attention today.  Guess I was in the mood for color!

My friend Brenda Van der Wiel from Salt Lake has been in town designing costumes for The Merry Wives of Windsor the for Alabama Shakespeare Festival.  She teaches design at the University of Utah and designs for several theaters in SLC where I've worked and we've known each other for years. She finally got a break before she heads back to Utah to be able to meet for lunch.  Met at Cafe M in the museum and had a lovely catch up session to accompany our lobster bisque and spinach salads.  Doesn't that just sound like something you should eat a a museum cafe?  Anyway, it was lovely to see a friendly face from home.
Hurried back to the apartment since I forget we now have a dog that needs to be let out (yikes) and received a text that the book group gals wanted to go see The Hunger Games @ 7:15.  So picked up Tom from school, ran him to his chiropractor for a quick adjustment, made a speedy dinner omelet then headed across the street to meet the gals.  Eight of us showed up (apparently last minute plans can lead to good turn  outs! ) including someone who signed up to be in the group but has never been able to actually attend!  We basically had the theatre to ourselves so enjoyed the film and a little post show discussion (we read the book a few months ago).  Went with thumbs up which is a rarity with book to film adaptations but overall we felt they did a good job.  Anyway, it was a busy but lovely day doing just about all my favorite things.  And yes, I am a lucky girl.

No comments: