Sunday, April 22, 2012

April 5K

Mr. Chick-fil-a cow was there.
My friend Molly....who beat me!

This month's 5K was held at Prattville Elementary and was a fundraiser for their tech needs.  There were several runs going on but we decided at the last minute to go ahead and do this one as it was local, just down the street and our boot camp friends were doing it.
Tom, Kim, Nancy and John....boot campers AND big winners!

The weather was supposed to be crappy but at 7 AM it was fine.  Because it was a smaller race they weren't as organized as the bigger ones.  No mile markers so we had no idea how far we'd gone.  In fact they had someone yelling out our time as we passed them which usually happens at the 1, 2, and 3 mile mark.  When I heard the time I thought "yikes, why am I even bothering?!"  But it turns out the time caller was at the halfway mark so my time wasn't quite as bad as I thought.  Finished with 37:30 which is faster than some of my other races but not my best time.  Tom and the other boot campers all placed in their categories.  John Boone took first overall.  If they had broken down the age groups in this race like they have all the others, I would have placed in the 50-55 age bracket.  Unfortunately they just did a 50+ category and there were some speedy older women.  Dang it!  Oh well, just more motivation for next time.  They ran out of medals anyway so none of our group even got one.  How do you run out of medals when you know exactly how many people will get medals?  And how does the first place finisher NOT get a medal?  Alas.....we all had a good time and a little Saturday morning exercise so it's all good!

No comments: