So if there's anything I've learned at mid-life is to be flexible. We originally planned to take off Thurs. evening, stop midway on the 6 hour trip and sightsee then do the same thing on the way home on Monday. Turns out Tom had to work Friday and didn't get away till late putting us smack dab in rush hour traffic so we had a very long drive to NC. Arrived around midnight and after an hour welcome chat we crashed.
After a leisurely breakfast at Joe and Karen's we headed into town for the Farmer's Market.
If there are hats to be found Tom feels compelled to try them on. Even if they're knitted by two elderly British ladies! We also checked out what was to be the first of many lovely antique storesYes, we did check out the gift shop for sheer goofiness and a patch for Tom's dominant eye. Or because he wants to be a pirate.
There was also a gorgeous quilt display:
Since we were the only ones in the museum, we took over the kids section. Joe and Tom manned the back of the ship while Karen and I handled the front. I'm sure there's a nautical name for that but I don't know what it is.
| Captain Joe |
I've never gotten the whole "hush puppy" craze until we tried these! Hot and yummy with butter…tasted like donuts!
After lunch we headed around the block to the palace itself.
If you're a Sleepy Hollow (FOX) fan it may look familiar as I guess they've shot some of it here. Unfortunately no photos allowed there or in the kitchen and slave quarters but the home but it was all very interesting and beautiful!
| Stables - only original building |
So nice to see some Spring blooms….
Back into town and an old theatre…..
….and the birthplace of Pepsi Cola!





No comments:
Post a Comment