I don't address this much because it sounds like we have all this awesome fun all the time but occasionally I find myself dabbling in a little depression. This winter has been especially difficult I think because a) the weather has been so incredibly crappy and b) I'm feeling a little isolated just 8 miles out of town in our lovely little apartment.
To remedy this I'm re-visiting a mild anti-depressant which for whatever reason still makes me feel weak and ashamed which I know is stupid and judgmental. However, I've seen an upswing almost immediately which has given me the incentive to do a little reaching out.
I joined a couple of small groups through church. One is a Thursday morning group of about 8 women who meet at Karen's (the organizer of the group) home in Alexandria. We have a light breakfast, watch a video (Breathing Room) then discuss it. I've been doing this now for about 3 weeks and love the ladies (who are much closer to my age than the youngsters we're usually surrounded with) and enjoy the time with them.
Tom and I are doing another small group together on Thursday evening at one of the participant's apartments in DC called "Storyline-Finding Your Subplot in God's Story". Tonight will be only our second night and so far have enjoyed the people we've met there. A mixed group of couples, singles, young and old…and by old I mean Tom and I are STILL the oldest!
We both signed up to help at the Connections table at church where we welcome visitors and help them get plugged in (like said small groups or service) so that will be fun. Just had the introductory training meeting last week so haven't actually started yet. And then this Saturday I'm helping in the nursery for 5 hours while during a leadership workshop. Can't wait to hold me some babies!
Anyway, even though I know service and belonging are both things that are important to me, sometimes it becomes easier to just sit alone in my apartment all day. Even for an extrovert the walking out the door is the important first step.
To remedy this I'm re-visiting a mild anti-depressant which for whatever reason still makes me feel weak and ashamed which I know is stupid and judgmental. However, I've seen an upswing almost immediately which has given me the incentive to do a little reaching out.
I joined a couple of small groups through church. One is a Thursday morning group of about 8 women who meet at Karen's (the organizer of the group) home in Alexandria. We have a light breakfast, watch a video (Breathing Room) then discuss it. I've been doing this now for about 3 weeks and love the ladies (who are much closer to my age than the youngsters we're usually surrounded with) and enjoy the time with them.
Tom and I are doing another small group together on Thursday evening at one of the participant's apartments in DC called "Storyline-Finding Your Subplot in God's Story". Tonight will be only our second night and so far have enjoyed the people we've met there. A mixed group of couples, singles, young and old…and by old I mean Tom and I are STILL the oldest!
We both signed up to help at the Connections table at church where we welcome visitors and help them get plugged in (like said small groups or service) so that will be fun. Just had the introductory training meeting last week so haven't actually started yet. And then this Saturday I'm helping in the nursery for 5 hours while during a leadership workshop. Can't wait to hold me some babies!
Anyway, even though I know service and belonging are both things that are important to me, sometimes it becomes easier to just sit alone in my apartment all day. Even for an extrovert the walking out the door is the important first step.
3 comments:
I think we can all relate to that feeling, Teri. I am glad you are finding ways to find your way out of it. I know that can be hard to do. And NEVER be ashamed if you need a little help re balancing the chemicals in your body! God gave us medicine as a tool to use! There was a great talk in General COnference in October that touched on just such a subject!
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng
Thanks Heather. Yes, I've seen this talk by Elder Holland a few times. I love him but especially this talk! He's so uplifting and open.
How funny I actually talked to my doctor about winter blues this year also. Things are much better now. Dennis bought me a light therapy light a couple of years ago and for some reason did not get it out this winter. Still looking forward to some sun filled days.
Post a Comment