I am lucky to have friends here from Utah that I get to still see occasionally. I've been helping my friend Dalliss with a retreat that's coming up in a couple of weeks so I've been heading to Vienna, VA every Thursday for that, but went in early one day so I could have lunch and visit with another friend Stephanie who was also from Utah. She showed me their cute neighborhood right behind Wolf Trap (they can hear the concerts!), helped me find a nursery where I could buy some plants, showed me Chuck Hagel's house, complete with secret service parked out front, we had a yummy lunch and then I got to see her darling daughter Anna, who I have not seen since they left Utah seven years ago!
Friday, my friend Denise (who I also knew from Utah) and I headed to Georgetown for the day. She and her husband are moving to Colorado next month for his job. He has been at the Pentagon since they left Utah and you may recall we stayed at their house with Denise while Jeff was deployed and while we were looking for housing here. Anyway, she picked me up Friday morning, we parked and wandered the streets of Georgetown for several hours.
The streets are lined with shops and cafes but you can walk up the side streets and see all these great town homes. As we got to the top of one street we could see Georgetown University where they were holding graduation ceremonies at several tented locations around campus so we poked our noses in around there as well.
Georgetown Cupcakes was on our list of things to see. I had to admit I didn't know about them and hadn't seen the show but after we had stopped at a small market and grabbed a quick sandwich and water.....we went looking for the shop. Sure enough, as we walked up the street....there it was!
I had the BEST red velvet cupcake I've ever eaten and Denise had lemon. Cake was moist and yummy and the icing was creamy, not too sweet and just perfect! Worth the $2.75!
This was the Francis Scott Key park which we followed down toward the river.
Yeah, see those cute blue shoes? Brand new, comfortable flats that I thought would be perfect for walking all day. When I got home I had gigantic blisters on 3 toes! I guess that's what happens when you splurge big and spend $5.95 on shoes! We had a great day though...perfect weather and managed to see everything we wanted to see (except the Exorcist stairwell which I'll have to look up for next time) without the benefit of maps. We squeezed a whole heck of a lot into a few hours.
Friday, my friend Denise (who I also knew from Utah) and I headed to Georgetown for the day. She and her husband are moving to Colorado next month for his job. He has been at the Pentagon since they left Utah and you may recall we stayed at their house with Denise while Jeff was deployed and while we were looking for housing here. Anyway, she picked me up Friday morning, we parked and wandered the streets of Georgetown for several hours.
The streets are lined with shops and cafes but you can walk up the side streets and see all these great town homes. As we got to the top of one street we could see Georgetown University where they were holding graduation ceremonies at several tented locations around campus so we poked our noses in around there as well.
Denise is completely fascinated by the Kennedy's and knew they had 7 Georgetown homes they had lived in during their time in DC. She looked them up on their phone and we tracked this one down that John F. Kennedy lived in when he was a congressman and before he was married.
She was also completely stoked when we had been driving into town and passed the Watergate apartments! She couldn't stop talking about that!
Georgetown Cupcakes was on our list of things to see. I had to admit I didn't know about them and hadn't seen the show but after we had stopped at a small market and grabbed a quick sandwich and water.....we went looking for the shop. Sure enough, as we walked up the street....there it was!
I had the BEST red velvet cupcake I've ever eaten and Denise had lemon. Cake was moist and yummy and the icing was creamy, not too sweet and just perfect! Worth the $2.75!
This was the Francis Scott Key park which we followed down toward the river.
Yeah, see those cute blue shoes? Brand new, comfortable flats that I thought would be perfect for walking all day. When I got home I had gigantic blisters on 3 toes! I guess that's what happens when you splurge big and spend $5.95 on shoes! We had a great day though...perfect weather and managed to see everything we wanted to see (except the Exorcist stairwell which I'll have to look up for next time) without the benefit of maps. We squeezed a whole heck of a lot into a few hours.

No comments:
Post a Comment