Monday, April 8, 2013

Eleanor's Service

Tom and I drove home Easter afternoon and spent the rest of the week scanning pictures, putting together a dvd and trying to help plan the service and after luncheon. It makes me a little crazy because I am a planner and an organizer and I want to know what's happening, who is making it happen and what the timetable looks like.  Tom's family.....not so much.  So it's been a week of trying to not step on toes, not take over, keeping in mind it is THEIR mom, but still have a nice service.

After a few tense days it finally ended up being a lovely service that I think would have made her very happy.  Marie and Victor are friends with an 89 year old monsignor who conducted the service and didn't do a Catholic mass but just some lovely prayers and scripture readings.  Joey read a section from the gospels, Tom wrote and delivered a beautiful eulogy and I sang "I'll Be Seeing You" which is lovely old tune from the 40's that is especially meaningful for World War II veterans.

When you're 89 years old you don't have a lot of contemporaries come to your service but there were neighbors, friends of Tom's siblings, and family.  During these past few months there have been some difficult times but there has also been reconciliation over past hurts so in the end, Eleanor would have been very happy I think.







Victor, Monsignor and Marie

The black box is her cremated remains.

Kathy, Dennis and daughter, Nicole

Joey, Dennis, Eleanor's brother Bill, Marie, Tom and their cousin Susan.

Siblings and spouses
The family before dad Joe passed away in 1997


 Dennis had to go back to work, Joe and Karen had to finish packing as they were taking off the next morning for NC where he's starting a new job, and Marie went to run errands so Tom and I cleaned up after the buffet luncheon at her house. Tons of food left over so we were able to share a bunch and we'll have plenty for days. After she got back the three of us treated ourselves to a walk on the boardwalk in Brigantine to just relax and have some fresh salt air in our faces. It was heavenly.


No comments: