So they have these studios throughout DC where you pay a certain price and just show up. You get all your supplies, 2 glasses of wine if you want, and after 2 hours you leave with your painting in hand. Everyone does the same painting so you go their online calendar and see what painting they're doing what night so you know when to sign up. A friend and I got a bargain on Groupon so we opted for the "DC At Night" painting at Merlot's Masterpiece.
You get this mini version taped to your easel and then the teacher walks you through the process. Frankly, wasn't crazy about this teacher....she was WAY more interested in her own painting than in helping us but it was still fun. We used acrylics, had 2 brushes and had as much freedom to personalize our work as we wanted.
Stephanie and the teacher opted to eliminate the other memorial on the end. Plus, we threw in a moon.
I wish I had all my acrylics from Utah with me because I would have done some more work on this when I got home.....but for first attempt, it was okay.
The U Metro station on the way home....a long line of colorful murals highlighting musicians. I hear there are a lot of great live music venues in that area.
When Tom isn't working on the weekend (He has had gigs several weekends either for Coast Guard or for his regular job...ex: The Army Ten-Miler) we try to go take advantage of some of the wonderful things to see in the city.
Tom thought he'd never been here before but as soon as we walked in the front door he remembered he had. I have been a couple of times.....once with Taylor when he was still a little kid and frankly it's not really for the kidlets, then another time by myself (which is really how I prefer to see museums). No photos are allowed inside but I did get one of this wall along the glass bridge.
We were there several hours and still didn't read everything in every exhibition. It frankly becomes overwhelming and very emotional to read about and see the atrocities. It's a powerful reminder though to not take our freedoms for granted.
Lastly, got a chance to see Shaylee and Nic's little Nixon in action last night via Skype. He was very confused by the whole thing and I don't look familiar to him so he was doubly mystified! He is such a little doll at 6 months....can't wait to see him and hold him in person!
You get this mini version taped to your easel and then the teacher walks you through the process. Frankly, wasn't crazy about this teacher....she was WAY more interested in her own painting than in helping us but it was still fun. We used acrylics, had 2 brushes and had as much freedom to personalize our work as we wanted.
Stephanie and the teacher opted to eliminate the other memorial on the end. Plus, we threw in a moon.
I wish I had all my acrylics from Utah with me because I would have done some more work on this when I got home.....but for first attempt, it was okay.
The U Metro station on the way home....a long line of colorful murals highlighting musicians. I hear there are a lot of great live music venues in that area.
When Tom isn't working on the weekend (He has had gigs several weekends either for Coast Guard or for his regular job...ex: The Army Ten-Miler) we try to go take advantage of some of the wonderful things to see in the city.
Tom thought he'd never been here before but as soon as we walked in the front door he remembered he had. I have been a couple of times.....once with Taylor when he was still a little kid and frankly it's not really for the kidlets, then another time by myself (which is really how I prefer to see museums). No photos are allowed inside but I did get one of this wall along the glass bridge.
We were there several hours and still didn't read everything in every exhibition. It frankly becomes overwhelming and very emotional to read about and see the atrocities. It's a powerful reminder though to not take our freedoms for granted.
Lastly, got a chance to see Shaylee and Nic's little Nixon in action last night via Skype. He was very confused by the whole thing and I don't look familiar to him so he was doubly mystified! He is such a little doll at 6 months....can't wait to see him and hold him in person!
No comments:
Post a Comment