Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me!

 So my birthday was last week and I decided to spend the day doing something I love.  First had a meeting with a radio station about using some studio space for voice overs then headed to the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts.  I love going to museums and galleries alone so I can dash through the sections that don't appeal to me (most modern art) and lounge in the areas that I love.  The museum is located in a park along with the Alabama Shakespeare Festival.  It's a gorgeous setting and a beautiful building.
Even the windows look framed and look out onto more art.


One huge glass wall was full of this stained glass that had been commissioned & produced in Germany then shipped over here.

 The museum store was full of local artist's work which I loved so I browsed casually there for some time and then I had lunch in the cafe.  Yummy quiche and lobster bisque at a quiet table with white linens that looked out over the lake surrounding the museum.

There was also a whole area called Art Works which is supposedly for kids but I had the whole place to myself and loved it.  It had many sections showing how art is produced including a large oil painting with the initial sketch, then the added layers showing more depth and then the final layer of varnish to enhance the colors.  There was also a big quilt with the center covered in velcro so you could take their whole stack of quilt blocks and build the design in the quilt just as you wanted.  Another layered stamp project, a puppet theatre based on one of the paintings in the gallery and just all kinds of fun things!  I will definitely be going back there.


This made me laugh as it reminded me of my water aerobics class back home in Farmington.

1 comment:

whitey said...

Little late but it seems you had a great birthday adventure, so here wishing you a great new year of celebration. Love the swim club picture