Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sept/Oct 5K


So Tom has always been a runner. He’s done a few marathons & lots of smaller races while I on the other hand am a slug. Well, not a slug but I do not like running. In fact we took a jogging class together when we were in college and while Tom would jog along with the instructor up front, my cousin Michele and I would trot along at the back of the group just talking and laughing. Never did get that runner’s “high”.


However, with the nice weather here, the time to actually train and an abundance of races, I’ve committed to doing one 5K a month while we’re here.

The first was a fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters and as it was my first race EVER, I was happy to complete it without passing out, throwing up, or dying on the course. My time: 41:15.

Tom of course, took first place in his age group and we’ve found that one of his classmates is a kindred spirit in the running dept. so Dave will appear in a lot of our photos. At this race there were a lot of fellow students and they were each supposed to wear their workout shirts representing their flight groups. That’s why they’re twins.


After the race we found Nancy's and treated ourselves to a "Fancy Nancy" italian ice & soft serve. Yummy!



The second race was through downtown Montgomery to kick off breast cancer awareness month. Tom ran with his sister Marie’s name on his tag and I ran with our friend Sue’s name. They both have battled breast cancer. It was a great race through the city. My time: 37:14, but of course Tom managed to finish, go to the car to get the camera and come back to capture me coming across the finish line and high five the mayor all while taking 2nd in his age category!

We also found some other students from ACSC so we had a great time. Each race has provided lunch afterwards and then by the time awards are given out, half the day is over. But it’s nice being outside, moving my weary body, and improving what little I can!


Sarah, Dave, Tom & Jan - proud students of ACSC


4 comments:

whitey said...

I would not/could not run if my life depended on it. But Way To Go Teri!!

FRYBABY said...

You are experiencing a whole new world out there!!! What fun.....AND I still talk and laugh while walking, but now it is to myself!!

Vickers said...

More power to you kiddo. You will definitely, "Live long and prosper".

Teri said...

Vicky- I'm going to be in your neighborhood later in the week (27-ish or thereabouts). Will you be in town? Send me your email and phone!