Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Weekend


Our weekends tend to go something like this. Tom is relieved after a week of hard work at school so we play Friday night, sleep in Saturday, work out or…read by the pool and then play again. Sunday is go to church, maybe pit stop by commissary then relax at home, read the paper, watch some NFL, phone calls with kids and catch up on any postponed reading. Well, Tom is always reading. This weekend was no different.

We are fortunate that we can buy tickets through the Ticket and Tour office on base and get some great discounts on events. So, we got to hit one of my favorite bands who just happened to be in Montgomery Friday night. Again we were right within a two block radius of everything that happens downtown which is centered around the Riverwalk area.

CHICAGO was appearing at The Montgomery Performing Arts Center which is connected to The Renaissance Hotel and Conference Center. It’s basically two blocks of nightlife as it’s also surrounded by restaurants & bars. The concert was a lot of fun and since I have never seen them live before I was thrilled for the opportunity. There are still a few original members, the horn section is still amazing and the band is great. The singer who does Peter Cetera's songs was a little weak but they were good anyway.

Saturday afternoon, Alma (the ONE girl in Tom's class) and her husband John had a cookout for the first expectant couple in the class (Aaron & Danielle) whose baby is coming next month.
Alma and John (expecting twins in Feb and whose photo I seemed to not get) hosted us and we all had a great time just relaxing and enjoying each other's company. It’s a very funny group and it’s nice to see everyone together.
As I mentioned in an earlier blog this is a very fruitful group...5 first pregnancies which will result in 7 babies! In fact I was the only non-pregnant female at the party. There's another couple who weren't able to make it who are also expecting twins! JC & Bonnie-expecting
Andy & Kazue (pronounced Cosway)- also expecting

I rarely see the students except Dave (the bachelor) who we sometimes see on the weekends because does races with us. I see the wives at other functions but it’s certainly easier to figure out who goes with whom when they’re actually in the same room! Good food and good company.

Dave- the single guy!


Tom and I decided to swing by the Alabama National Fair on the way home. Have yet to find anyone who can explain why Alabamans fancy themselves worthy of a “national” rather than “state” fair but this was pretty much just like Utah’s state fair.

All the entertainment, including the BIG name each day was included in the ticket price and we just happened to enter into the coliseum where Rodney Atkins was wrapping up his show. Now, I don’t have a clue who he is but the audience seemed to be crazy about him. He's the guy sitting and singing on the speaker.
We took a walk down the midway which was packed of course on a Saturday night. The livestock and cultural arts exhibits were much calmer so we took our time in there and after about an hour or so we headed home. Pretty Quilts!

I haven’t been to the state fair in Utah in I don’t know how long. I like the little county fairs but the giant ones..not really my cup of tea. Too many people, loud, expensive, smelly.... but we do feel compelled to try everything while we’re here!



1 comment:

FRYBABY said...

Could you see through the walls of the Libery???