Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Winchester, VA

Tom had to work in Mount Weather Tuesday so Monday night after he got home from work and we took a quick swim, we drove the hour and a half almost to the West Virginia border.

 While he worked the next morning I wandered around the hotel.  It's in a historic area and apparently is popular for weddings because of that but I thought it was so odd to have this wedding chapel that seats four.  Yep….four.



 I had a relaxing morning just reading and watching tv but had to check out at noon.  I spent the next 40  minutes or so until Tom got there sitting in the lobby doing some more reading.  I had to take all the stuff out of our room with me so when Tom got back he took his play clothes and rather than going to the restroom to change (because you never know what creepy germs will be lurking there) he slipped into the Grand Ballroom to change.  Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me as well.
 Sheesh, got enough wires on this street?

 We spent the next couple of hours wandering the historic downtown area.

 Dang it!  Civil War Museum closed on Monday and Tuesday
 We had several people approach us as we wandered through the streets who just wanted to chat, welcome us to town and tell us what we should see.  Very nice.  More West Virginian than Virginian in appearance and dialect.

 We had passed a little joint that had a sign out front saying they had a special on their burgers for a buck!  Back to 80's prices it said.  So we went in to order and the lady said that because of the awesome price we needed to order two each.  No problem, we said.  Figured Tom could eat my second one.  Well, when they handed us the bag and we settled outside….we opened to find our burgers were mini sliders!  You can't tell how small they were in this photo but I'm thinking if I'd paid the full $1.65 for this little slider I would have been bugged!
 So George Washington came to Winchester when he was 16 years old to begin what he thought would be a surveying career.  We all know he went on to bigger and better things and this is where he had a military office from 1755-56.


 Finally some blossoms coming out!  Winchester is also the inside border of the Shenandoah Valley which isn't quite green enough yet to be this pretty but hoping to come back and visit when it looks more like this!


No comments: