Monday, June 3, 2013

Being By The Water

Mariah, Taylor's friend from Utah visited last week so he had a great time showing her the sights and sounds of DC.  It was her first time on a plane and she was amazed at all DC had to offer.  They hit the memorials, museums, shops & restaurants but wanted to spend her last full day at the beach.  After doing some research, it looked like Ocean City, MD was the closest with a boardwalk, but it was still a 2 1/2 hour drive each way.  Fortunately it was a beautiful drive over the Bay Bridge and through other lovely scenery.  It was a nice day but there was a coolish wind, and that mixed with coolish water is not conducive to ocean swimming.  It was nice to get in up to our knees though!








Yes, the beach porta-potty shot
 I took a long walk up the beach then back down the boardwalk.  My left leg and foot were still bugging me from the many miles I logged Monday at Arlington (in flat sandals) so I hobbled my way back.
We're used to Italian Ice.......?




 These giant kites were along the beach in front of the Kite Shop on the boardwalk.



This sailing billboard advertised throughout the day along with the airplane banners in the air.

Mariah's last night in DC before they headed out to dinner in DuPont Circle
 Friday night we had our friends Jeff and Denise over for dinner then walked over to the Marina to catch an evening cruise. It was a 90 minute ride around the city by Fort McNair, the Nationals Ballpark and the Navy Yards.  Beautiful night (daytime temps have been in low 90's) and just perfect for a boat ride.  Nothing like being on or near the water!


Got a good Groupon deal to ride the Patriot II

Jeff and Tom worked together at HAFB in joint leadership over the 2nd Combat Camera Squadron




In the meantime Jessica and some friends went to Southern Utah to hike in Zion's so I had her stop and say hello to our friends Mark and Joe who own and run a gorgeous bed and breakfast in Springdale. Mark and I have been friends since the late 80's when we did theatre together at Salt Lake Acting Co and his partner Joe, has been a friend almost as long.  They had a beautiful home in the avenues in SLC then up and changed their lives transferring all their good taste and cool stuff to Under The Eaves.  They have always been great hosts so this is right up their alley and they are SO happy there!














The rest of our weekend was pretty low key.  In fact it felt like we had been on the go every single day so we actually just sat around this weekend.  Swam some laps, laid around the outdoor pool, sat in front of the tv while I worked on cross-stitch and Tom worked on family history.  Our sermon yesterday was entitled "Selah" which in the book of psalms is referred to as taking time "to pause".  We were fasting and praying for Paige and her family and seeing as we were taking plenty of time to pause this weekend, it seemed a fitting way to spend a couple of days.

4 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Miles and I went there on our honeymoon.

Teri said...

Awesome! Have you said good-bye to your blog?

restlessrisa said...

What a fun life in DC. I visited once for my friends wedding, and can't wait to go back. :) Did you know Selah is also a christian band? I love them :) I never knew what the word meant.

whitey said...

Nice porta-potty! better than those bright orange plastic outhouse we have here. Love the kites.