Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day Weekend

Tom only went to work for 3 hours on Friday so we had an extended weekend.  Got up and went to swim laps at the pool.  This gym is in our complex so it's very handy though we do have to pay a monthly membership.  We DO use it plenty though.

 A few steps out the door is the outdoor pool so we took in a little sun to enjoy the warm day.
 Tom headed to work and I cleaned the apartment.  After a couple of hours of cleaning I go to jump in the shower and realize I have the bottom of my swimming suit on inside out!  Fortunately it's a solid black color and has a little skirt to cover the panty liner part of the suit but REALLY?

Southwest Duck Pond across the street from our apartment
 Tom got home and we decided to walk over to the Riverfront/NavyYards for the Friday night free concert.  Great band called Cazhmiere was playing.  Very fun cover band playing tons of great dance tunes.  It's just fun to watch all the little kids get up and dance plus there's the swimming pond and lots of dock space for scooters and general frivolity.  Great people watching.






 Saturday Tom got up to go on a bike ride and have lunch with a couple of other guys from church.  They ended up putting in 39 miles.  I went to the outdoor pool and finally got brave enough to do laps in that pool.  It is NOT very warm water, but it was VERY warm outside so after reading in the sun for a while I was ready for a cool off.  Once I got used to it, it was actually very pleasant.  Went back to the apartment and watched a documentary while I cross-stitched. Thought I had made a giant mistake and was either going to have to tear out a whole bunch or somehow incorporate it into the design.  That's a sick feeling in the stomach.  Turned out it was just a couple of stitches so I was able to fix it. Phew!
Tom came home, we watched another doc then decided to go walk the city.






Started at the National Mall but ventured off a block onto Pennsylvania Ave.  Plenty to see there as well with the Newseum Bldg and the National Archives.  Love these statues in front of the Archives.

 After worship service Sunday morning I stayed and taught Sunday school so Tom headed to Dupont Circle to read as we were supposed to meet up with Taylor before he went to work for brunch.  Turns out he read the schedule wrong and was supposed to be to work at 8 AM so when they called he DASHED to get there on his bike.







Wesley, Miss Cathy, Hailey, Kiley, Nylah, Grace, Elinor (with her back turned), Hayden, Eli and Cooper. My cute Sunday School class along with co-teacher Cathy.  Yes, there's quite a little united nations mix of cultures in that class!

 Tom and I met up at Union Station (We were working that Metro big time!) and grabbed a slice of pizza to hold us over till dinner.  Tom enjoyed his NCC Pop Happy Father's Day root beer they handed out to the father's at church.  There's always great people watching at Union Station as so many travelers, tourists and locals come through there.  We killed some time before walking down the street to Ebeneezer's where we had a meeting about Sprint Triathlon training (yeah, I'm sure you'll hear more about that in the near future!).

Food Court at Union Station
 After our meeting we headed home, went and swam some laps then walked into town for our Father's Day dinner with Taylor and Logan.  Had some great conversation about the way of the world, religion, and anything else you can think of.  Both Jess and Nic called to wish Tom a happy day and I got to talk to my dad as well so all in all it was a pretty great weekend!



2 comments:

whitey said...

You are to funny with your swimsuit story!

Teri said...

So I say to Tom when he comes home....."My suit was on inside out!" and he says...."You know, I thought it was kind of weird that the crotch of your suit was a different color than the rest of the suit.". Really? You didn't think to mention it when I was out at the pool with a dozen other people? Brother.