First, let me say that I initially had no intention of going to the inauguration. I hate crowds. HATE them. I get claustrophobic and want to run screaming from crowds. Sitting in my warm living room watching it on tv seemed just peachy to me. However, my friend Dalliss, who from the moment she found out where we would be living promptly had proclaimed she would be camping on our floor the night before said event so she could walk over, without even trying...she convinced me to go. I knew that if I didn't take advantage of this rare opportunity I would kick myself on behalf of Taylor as well.
In fact, the night before we ended up having a sleep over. I had already told Dalliss and her daughter Jalene that they could stay, then Tom told one of his co-workers she could stay as they both had to be at work at 3 AM for the festivities. So we spread out with beds, blow up mattresses & recliners and there was room for all.
Around 5AM sirens and voices acted as an early alarm. I looked out the window and the sidewalks already looked like this!
We got up, readied ourselves with a little breakfast and warm layers before heading out to join the crowds walking to the Capitol. We didn't leave our place until 8:30
The streets were closed off so there was plenty of room to walk. Lots of souvenirs lined the streets as well as an air of excitement as we got closer to The Mall.
 |
| News Agencies in Place |
 |
| 15,000 porta-potties in place |
 |
| Exuberant volunteers lining the mall with happy welcomes |
 |
| Robin Meade (in purple) reporting from amongst 'the people' |
We worked our way up the mall as close as we could to the Capitol. You needed to have tickets for the spaces close up but we managed to get up next to the 2nd big screen.
 |
| Taylor, moi and Dalliss. Jalene came down with something and didn't attend. |
 |
| Love this dude checking out Taylor. He DOES get second looks. |
We were in front of the National Gallery and in an area that wasn't shoulder to shoulder. We even had room to sit for an hour or so. However, the morning had started out very pleasant but got progressively colder right before the ceremony started.
 |
| The volunteers came through the crowds with flags for everyone |
It was great to people watch, and people listen. I got goose bumps just entering the mall area with such an air of excitement in a peaceful gathering. A huge population of African-Americans in attendance and it was easy to get caught up in their anticipation of the inauguration of this particular president on Martin Luther King Jr.'s holiday. Once Obama started speaking it was like a revival with call and response from the audience. A lot of "oh yeah", "amen", and "yes sir" from all around us.
 |
| Well, then there was James Taylor! |

No matter how you lean politically, you can't help but get caught up in the transition of power, the peaceful re-commitment to the people of this country and this brief moment in history in our nation's capital.

We headed out a little early as did a lot of people. For whatever reason....the introduction of a poet just invites people to leave. The temp had dropped considerably and even with a foot warmer my toes were freezing. Dalliss split off from us to find her way to an open Metro to get back to Vienna and Taylor and I walked home. We spent the rest of the afternoon in our warm apartment with hot soup, grilled cheese (salad for me) and naps before the parade. Tom got home around 4pm to watch with us and have dinner before having to head back to work at 9 PM. Overall a great day and so glad we had the opportunity to enjoy it.
2 comments:
How exciting! I guess I know where to camp out when we go to 4th of July fireworks again someday. I absolutely LOVED being on the mall to see them, but getting home was a NIGHTMARE!
Anytime Heather!
Post a Comment