Friday night we had the American Friends Hawaiian picnic on the front lawn of Georgetown University. Tom and I had a difficult time getting there. GPS was acting up and I've never driven there! Showed up 30 minutes late....grrrr! DC driving will be the death of me I tell you!
Pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches, games and dancing along with "welcome" cakes.
Kind of a generalized map of the US. They had leaders dress up like they had come from each section of the country. Utah=EMPTY QUARTER? What? They made up for it by explaining there is little population there comparatively speaking. The international students had quizzes after each "introduction" to our country.
Alexis brought me this beautiful handmade waterfall picture holder her mom had sent from Singapore for me.
Pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches, games and dancing along with "welcome" cakes.
Kind of a generalized map of the US. They had leaders dress up like they had come from each section of the country. Utah=EMPTY QUARTER? What? They made up for it by explaining there is little population there comparatively speaking. The international students had quizzes after each "introduction" to our country.
Alexis brought me this beautiful handmade waterfall picture holder her mom had sent from Singapore for me.
![]() |
| Our table won the grand prize for winning the most quizzes! |
Earlier in the week the director of the program had sent out a request for more "friends" as she had some who hadn't been matched up yet. Tom decided to participate and so we met his new friend Zimo, who is from China at the picnic. Tom spent most the evening with him but I haven't had much time to get to know him yet. I do know he's a graduate student studying computer science. We're having both he and Alexis over for dinner soon so we can get to know him better.


No comments:
Post a Comment