Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pistol Packing

So Tom signed us up for a day long NRA pistol course through one of his co-workers who has a business called Pistol Packing Ladies.  They mostly do courses (and social events) for women, but they also do couple classes.  He really wanted Taylor and I to do it but Taylor had to work.  Frankly, I had no interest in the thing, but sometimes we just do these things for our spouses.  He thought it would be good for me.
 Initial portion of the class was held in the instructor's home.  Snack bar (always important), slides, booklets, and a gun at each of our places.  The other couple brought their own guns.  Apparently they had recently inherited hundreds of guns when her brother died.  There were only four of us so we got a lot of personal attention.  Even though I grew up around guns (dad and brothers are hunters) it's never held much interest for me and I'm not even sure I've ever shot a gun.  I KNOW I had never shot a pistol.


We learned the difference between revolvers and pistols, learned a lot of safety rules, how to load, clean, fix if jammed, concealment laws, etc.  LOTS to learn over a 6 hour period including shooting a laser gun at a target for practice in Erika's home.  Then, the written portion of the test........


Next, off to the range in a huge rainstorm to do the real thing.  A little anxious I have to say because now you get the loud noise, the physical recoil after you pull the trigger and you're surrounded by a bunch of other shooters.


 Did pretty well my first few out of the gate but kind of went downhill when she had me try different guns.


 Yeah, Tom was pretty impressive!
Overall we all did pretty well!  So, it was interesting and an all right way to spend a day but I don't really ever see myself owning a handgun or hanging out at the shooting range.  BUT I did come away with greater respect for those who do.  These people were all very sincere about knowing the laws, doing things the right way, adhering to the safety aspects and taking the whole thing very seriously whether they were interested in it for recreation or for personal safety and self defense.
Wayne, Karen, teacher Erika and me & Tom

No comments: