Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Science Project

 So within days of Taylor's arrival he started talking about us saving our food scraps for composting.  Um, yeah, we live in a small apartment and though I have looked forward to the Spring when I can hopefully grow some veggies and herbs in containers....I haven't really considered composting.

Taylor said he had done the research and would be in charge.  So off we went and purchased these items along with a small container of worms to get started.

Holes in the bottom for moisture to drain and 1/3 full of soil, scraps and worms plus a bottle on top to add water.

Well, the first issue was the fact that I didn't want an entire crisper in the fridge dedicated to a plastic bag full of rotting scraps. And the fact that we're doing a veggie/fruit only diet means that there is PLENTY of scrap.  Secondly, once we put all those scraps in the bucket...there didn't seem to be enough worms to go through it. So we began searching the city for a place to buy more worms. Amazingly enough...worms don't seem to be a priority in Washington DC retail.  So Taylor found a worm farm online and within days his bag-o-worms arrived bringing 1,000 squirmy little friends to the bucket.









 Next problem.  This little project was originally in Taylor's closet where the worms could have dark and warmth.  However, once all the scraps were added....he didn't really like the smell in his room so he moved the whole process to the #1 bathroom.  Which was fine.....until the morning I walked in and found escaped worms on the floor.  Only a couple, but STILL.  After a few more adjustments, he decided he needed a better container.  So Tom got involved and after a visit to Home Depot they came home with this.....

It includes 2 Rubbermaid containers....one for drainage and one for housing our little worm community.  Some netting that will allow for breathing and drainage but hopefully preventing escaping.  Taylor is still making adjustments and I am still flipping the light and doing a quick scan of the bathroom floor before entering....but for now, we're a thriving little apartment of agriculture.

No comments: