So we discovered on the 27th that Tom had a detached retina. His vision had become somewhat blurred the week before and continually got worse in his right eye so after to a visit to a 2 opthamologists, surgery was scheduled for Monday. Apparently there are several ways such a thing can happen....trauma, genetics, age & near-sightedness. Tom's was the last two. We spent the day at the hospital....Tom being put completely out with anesthesia then having his eye prodded, poked, stitched & drained while I sat in the newly remodeled waiting room. I watched as they set up and tuned a baby grand piano, listened as said piano played itself for the rest of the afternoon via computer, enjoyed the grand opening for the staff of the new snack bar along complete with warm biscotti, brownies and mini frozen Starbuck's frappucinos delivered to those of us waiting. Finished and started a book (LOVE that Kindle) all while following Tom's progress on the computerized tv screen that tracked him (via an assigned number) from holding to post op and release.
We are fortunate that we both come from healthy stock and luckily have had little to do with hospitals except shoots that I've done from playing a nurse explaining the pre and post-surgery aspects of gastric bypass to a nurse showing the proper way to wash your hands when you're on duty.
Now that hard part begins. Because they put an air bubble in his eye to act as a splint and hold it up so the re-attachment takes, he has to lie face down for a week. The poor guy already has a back that gives him problems so trying to sleep, rest, relax or frankly do anything while facing down is very difficult, not to mention very uncomfortable. He can get up for quick meals, shower, etc. then back down. He also has to keep his eye gaze down so we spent yesterday listening to a movie while I described who was talking and what was happening. This morning I read his incredibly riveting textbook (yawn) homework to him. Luckily he is a wonderful patient and not a whiner because this is our life for two weeks. He'll also have to continue to take it easy for another month (no workouts) which is going to make him go mad as he is a crazy physical fitness addict. At his return visit yesterday everything looks good so far so we are hoping some sight in that eye will be regained. Appreciate the prayers that came his way.
We are fortunate that we both come from healthy stock and luckily have had little to do with hospitals except shoots that I've done from playing a nurse explaining the pre and post-surgery aspects of gastric bypass to a nurse showing the proper way to wash your hands when you're on duty.
Now that hard part begins. Because they put an air bubble in his eye to act as a splint and hold it up so the re-attachment takes, he has to lie face down for a week. The poor guy already has a back that gives him problems so trying to sleep, rest, relax or frankly do anything while facing down is very difficult, not to mention very uncomfortable. He can get up for quick meals, shower, etc. then back down. He also has to keep his eye gaze down so we spent yesterday listening to a movie while I described who was talking and what was happening. This morning I read his incredibly riveting textbook (yawn) homework to him. Luckily he is a wonderful patient and not a whiner because this is our life for two weeks. He'll also have to continue to take it easy for another month (no workouts) which is going to make him go mad as he is a crazy physical fitness addict. At his return visit yesterday everything looks good so far so we are hoping some sight in that eye will be regained. Appreciate the prayers that came his way.
2 comments:
He's lucky to have you. I hope he recovers quickly.
I really do not think I could do this... either one to be the patient or the care taker. Wishing you both luck on this latest midlife adventure. Heal quickly Tom.
Post a Comment