So we have known since November that Tom was selected to attend the 2011/2012 class at Maxwell Air Force Base in AL, but I wasn't motivated, nor did I have the time to really dig in and downsize until this summer. I'm here to tell you that when you've lived in one place for 20 years, you've gathered a lot of stuff.
We put a bunch in storage (as we're renting out our house), some was picked up to ship here, and the rest was relegated to the garage for upcoming yard sales. Yes, it was a marathon of yard sales....I believe five in all with a constant influx of new items as we continued to empty the house. We even took to sleeping outside to guard our stuff so we could hold the ever lucrative Fri/Sat extravaganza. Fortunately we live on a busy main street so we had a constant flow of lookers and buyers but finally what was left was donated to thrift shops.
After about 3 nights of very little sleep we stuffed (and I mean STUFFED) the remaining items in our car and after getting the kids settled in their new places, catching some shut eye at mom & dad's and a huge amount of help from friends and family, we were on our way. For those of you who do this kind of thing often.....and by often I mean any time frame less than 20 years...I salute you. I have a new admiration for your capabilities. You, my flexible moving friends are my heroes.
No comments:
Post a Comment